Hearing loss can’t be recognized right away. You won’t know if the person can’t hear on your own. It is like an invisible disease and also the second largest one found in people. It is a severe problem because if you are not physically impaired, it is hard to even think about living without one sense organ. Yes, there are some hearing aid techniques available to cure that, but keeping a consideration is important.
All of our senses are important to us. Not all people are born with hearing loss; some experience it in old age, some get it due to an accident, and some experience it later because of hereditary. Communicating with someone who is deaf is not an easy task. It can be easy if you already know sign language.
Some people are poor, and they cannot send their kid who is deaf to a school where they can learn sign language. So it can be really tricky for you to be able to talk to someone who has a hearing loss. Here are some ways you can communicate with them.
- Face the person you are speaking to directly. Position yourself in a way that you are standing in front of them and not at the side. The person who is deaf is not ignoring you; it’s just that they can’t hear you. So if you call out for someone from the side and are not responding to you, come in front of them or wave in front of them to get their attention.
- They can’t hear you like a normal person, so don’t expect to call out to them from another room, and they will come up to you. You have to be patient and go in front of them. If you need them to be somewhere other place you can’t be, you can also text them on their phone.
- Avoid talking rapidly. We get it you are excited to tell them something, but it will be hard for them to read your lips to get what you are trying to tell them. Try speaking in a slow manner with a pause so that they can get what you said properly.
- If you are talking in front of them with hands-on your face, they won’t get what you are saying. Muffled speeches are hard to understand for a normal person, then you can’t expect a person to get what you are saying if you have a hand on your mouth. The same applies when you are eating or chewing.
- When you know that someone has a hearing loss, people tend to speak to them while shouting. That doesn’t help them at all. They won’t get what you are saying because shouting can distort the way of speaking, which will make it harder for them.
- Try to minimize the background noise. They can’t hear you properly if you have car honks near you or any other noise, making it even more difficult for them.
- If you tell them something specific about a place to meet, what time, and when, you should repeat that. After repeating, you can have them say it one more time so that you can know that they got the right information.
- Pay attention to their expressions while telling something. If you see any confusion on their face, then ask them and repeat whatever you were saying.
Most people need these tips to be around their spouse or friends, and it is good to know all these things. If you are making an effort and not making them feel abnormal, it will help them get through this situation. Now, so many people ask that, Could a vitamin supplement prevent hearing loss? Then yes, it is possible.
Researchers have discovered that some vitamins can help with hearing loss. The noise-induced hearing loss can be benefitted with Vitamin A, C, and E with magnesium. The noise-induced hearing loss is generally due to exposure to very loud noise. Our eardrums can only take some amount of decibels of sound.
If the hearing loss is because of age, then some amount of folic acid can help you get through that. There are so many old age people who experience hearing loss. And there are so many hearing aids available in the dispensaries. You can buy them or use folic acid to help them with their imparity.
The last say,
If you are around someone who is impaired with hearing loss, all you need to do is give them some courtesy. It isn’t their fault that they have such a disease. So learning how to communicate with them will help you as well as them. This way, they will feel normal too. It is not hard to learn these ways; you just need to use your common sense and this bit of knowledge.