Health hazards are perhaps the most serious. Pests such as cockroaches and mice all carry bacteria that can contaminate your food through direct contact or indirectly with any droppings they leave behind. Pest infestations lead to unsanitary conditions, causing a number of health problems for both children and adults.
Unsanitary conditions are also essentially breeding grounds for pests. Left untreated, they can easily spread to other areas of your home or office until professional treatment is eventually required. If you suspect you have a pest problem, you need to take immediate steps to before conditions worsen even further.
Here we are going to share How To Get Rid of Rats and cockroaches with the help of the best pest control tips that are proven to keep bugs and other critters at bay all year round.
- Seal All Entryways
It may sound obvious but it’s also the most effective.
If you are dealing with a pest control problem and have tried all kinds of pesticides without any results, pests are still finding a way into your home. Finding any entry points is the priority as any holes or large cracks are likely letting pests in.
Here is what to do:
- Evaluate the exterior: Run a thorough perimeter check around the exterior walls and look for any cracks. Feeling for air movement can also point you to any cracks that may not be visible.
- Check the windows and doors: Windows and doors are likely entry points for pests. Check for any holes in window screens and repair them if you find any. Use weatherstripping to seal any cracks around your windows and doors.
- Install screens on vents: Not all entryways need to be blocked. For example, in the kitchen, you might have a ventilation system that ventilates the air out while you cook. In these cases simply install a screen over them to keep pests out.
Taking these steps will help to control pests, especially during the colder months when pests tend to seek shelter.
- Clean-Up Meals Immediately
All it takes is a single crumb to lead ants right into your home. Leaving any food overnight in your sink or on the table is another sure-fire way to attract insects. Both of which can lead to an unpleasant surprise when you walk into your kitchen the next morning.
Follow these tips to keep your kitchen clean:
- Wipe your counters regularly
- Store food in plastic containers
- Don’t let fruits get overly ripe
- Sweep your floor
- Take out the trash
- Wash out soda cans
Leaving pet food outside also tends to attract unwanted pests. One way to combat this issue is to train your pet to eat only once or twice a day depending on their diet. Then use a plastic or metal container to store anything that remains.
Another issue is the water bowl as any standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Clean out the water bowl regularly and keep the area dry or move the water bowl indoors.
- Maintain Your Landscape
Keeping your yard well-maintained is another proven way to steer pests away. Here are additional tips to keep your yard under control:
- Pull out any weeds in your yard and around the sides of your home
- Keep mulch a safe distance away from your home
- Maintain your lawn by keeping the grass short
- Clean your gutters and point downspouts away
- Clean birdbaths or water fountains often
- Don’t stack firewood against your home
Be sure to also avoid any vegetation overgrowth as they are perfect breeding grounds for pests. Trim bushes and trees that grow along with your home, and rake up any debris. Pests tend to be particularly attracted to dark and moist areas so maintaining your landscape is essential to keep them away from your home.
- Seek Professional Pest Control
Every situation is different.
Using pesticides and following these suggestions may be enough to keep unwanted critters from entering your home. But some pest infestations may be more extreme and difficult to remedy on your own. Hiring a local pest control service is often the best solution to feeling with infestations.
Pest control experts first conduct a thorough assessment of the interior and exterior parts of your home. Then they work to create a personalized plan to deal with the infestation. The length of time it takes to eliminate all the pests largely depends on the extent of the infestation and how widespread it is.
If you are looking for professional pest control services, we can help. Contact us today to ask about our inspections and how we can eliminate pests from your home.